Fabrizio Romano shares what he’s now hearing about Antony’s future at Man Utd

Despite intense rumors about Antony’s future, there aren’t any signs that he will leave Manchester United this summer, journalist Fabrizio Romano told GIVEMESPORT. Due to underwhelming performances this season, the Brazil international has occasionally been the target of criticism.

Although Antony paid a hefty £82 million to join United in 2022, he hasn’t lived up to the fan base’s expectations. The former Ajax player’s goal total from previous season, when he reached double figures, has significantly decreased to just three goals in 38 games across all competitions this season.

It’s a stark contrast to his time in the Netherlands where he scored at least 10 goals and registered at least 10 assists in all competitions at Ajax. Even though he was coached by current United boss Erik ten Hag at his former club, Antony has failed to make a similar impact at Old Trafford.

United are not Looking to Sell Antony 

When Antony was connected to a move to Saudi Arabia in January, speculation about his future made headlines. According to the Evening Standard, United reportedly made offers to Saudi Arabian teams for both him and Jadon Sancho in an effort to recover a portion of the large transfer fees they had to pay for the players.

Before the January transfer window, though, Flamengo and other Brazilian teams were also connected to the player. According to Romano, neither the player nor the club wanted to split ways at that point, and a trade never happened.

He told GIVEMESPORT:

“At the moment I think on Antony the situation is completely quiet. There are no negotiations to sell him and there is nothing specific to say in terms of his transfer, when in January there were some links with Brazilian clubs, maybe going on loan.

“United never wanted that solution and it was the same for the player’s side. He didn’t want to go back to Brazil. At the moment, the situation is completely quiet around Antony.”

Despite the ongoing speculation surrounding his future, the player shared a defiant message to his critics at the end of last month when he admitted it’s been a tough year for himself and the team. “(The transfer fee) doesn’t really impact me because I know my worth,” he told reporters. “The critics are going to exist, and it’s something that makes me want to work harder, prove to myself first.”

United ‘Consider’ Move for Ollie Watkins 

In other news, Ollie Watkins of Aston Villa is allegedly a target for United this summer. TalkSPORT reports that the England international is being considered for the position because he suits the type of player that the club’s new minority owner, Sir Jim Ratcliffe, wants.

A transfer for the striker could not be easy, though, as Villa qualified for the Champions League on Tuesday night after Tottenham’s loss to Manchester City. Given that United is currently outside of the top four, it seems improbable that Watkins would turn down the chance to compete in Europe’s premier league.

Watkins is under contract until 2028 and has played a significant role in Villa’s quest for Champions League football. This season he’s scored 27 goals across all competitions, 19 of which have come in the Premier League. The remaining eight were scored throughout the club’s journey to the UEFA Conference League semi-finals.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*